I was reading an article online entitled “How do you find your purpose when you don’t know what it is?” I felt an affinity with what the article was about, as often find myself playing over again and again in my head or writing, what is my purpose in life? I then remind myself of a song from the musical Avenue Q called “For now“; in it the character of Kate Monster points out who really does know their purpose and the cast sing about the importance of the present moment, with some things only being temporary. Remembering the lyrics to this song and words from a close friend help me stay focused on the present moment, i.e. living mindfully, so worry less over the things I cannot control and enjoying the good things when they come.
Going back to the article, I found four things stood out, which are listed below and then my answers to them, therein lies my life’s purpose. The four are:
- What am I grateful for?
- What are my gifts and talents?
- What do I love?
- What feelings do I want to have?
- I am grateful for being able to read and write. This makes me happy or benefits my life because to me there is so much to explore that others have said before me to writing my own experiences of life or giving voice to those that have none. So simple yet taken for granted by many as learn them at a young age but not all have the chance to learn them at any age.
- I am grateful for being able to see and hear. This makes me happy or benefits my life because it makes me look beyond the surface level, looking deeper and longer, and hearing the songs of Mother Nature to musicians that write their own and/or play ones that paint visuals in my mind, become soundtracks to my life, and give words to what perhaps I find I cannot.
- I am grateful for good friends. This makes me happy or benefits my life because it makes me feel loved, appreciated, and accepted in the world where many get jealous or envious, wanting more without realising what they have already, and feel like the ugly duckling now gliding down the river of her life as the swan she truly is not the ogre she thought she was.
- I am grateful for being an empath and highly sensitive This makes me happy or benefits my life because it makes me appreciate the little things that cross my path, keep the light shining for those that are in darkness as know that it can suffocate when it overwhelms, and although I may not understand psychopaths or narcissists they show me what I am not
- I am grateful for surviving the bad times. This makes me happy or benefits my life because it makes me know the importance of this present moment, which can change from bad to good or the reverse at any moment. They taught me lessons that I can share with others so they can survive their own and do not define me as a victim but a survivor of them.
Gifts and talents
- I am lucky to have the gift to write my thoughts and words of others so that their songs can be heard even when I am gone.
- I have also the gift of a vivid imagination and a visual mind, so can look at a scene to see it many ways beyond the initial glance.
- Another gift is having a non-judgemental ear to comforting shoulder and arms to hug those that come on the journey with me.
- I have a talent for research, looking beyond the tip of the iceberg, diving deep to see how far I can go and what lies hidden.
- I have also the talent to realise there is so much in the world to learn, so each day I try find something new to wonder at a new.
- Another talent is knowing myself, strengths and weaknesses, pushing myself when needed and withdrawing when needed.
- My closest friends who mean the world to me, I’d do anything for them as their place in my heart and soul is as unique as they are.
- Walks along with nature as my guide and friend, fighting all my senses at once which one that I should taken in first or all at once!
- Writing and/or photographing to record or give voice to a sight, sound, experience, thought or moment so has its own voice and/or image.
- Supporting others as feel privileged and honoured that out of all the human beings on this planet that could help them, it’s me that does.
- Exploring somewhere old afresh with a child’s eyes, as well as somewhere new where there are memories and stories to tell.
- Mindfulness and meditation, to be centred on this present moment, realising there are more roses than thorns growing at any time.
- Freedom – To be me, not what others expectations or wants. Follow my path not one created or walked by others, the so called normal life.
- Appreciated – I have no desire to be rich and/or famous, but to be appreciated by those that I enjoy having in my life as they do with me.
- Determined – Not to give up when feel lost in the darkness or suffocating from trees I should have dealt with when were but seeds.
- Inspired – Every day and by everything, seeing the world like a child and not taking it for granted that it will be there again tomorrow.
- Worthwhile – I do not want to reach the age of 60 and wonder what I did with my life or why I continued to ignore what my teenage self knew.
- Wanderlust – I would love to see more of this world with its different cultures and traditions that share similarities and differences to my own.
© Fi S. J. Brown