When was the last time you tried something new?
– Last month, learning the Danish language.
Do you think crying is a form of strength or weakness?
– Strength, as letting go of what is hurting us and a sign to move on from it as best we can.
Are you living or existing?
– I try to ensure I live in the moment but some days feel like it is existing by joining the dots going from day to night.
Are you holding on to something you need to let go of?
– Yes, some personal stuff that still hurts from my past and impacts on the present.
How old would you be if you didn’t know how you are?
– Mid-70s, feel I have seen the world many times over and so many repeats but yet still room for surprises too.
What makes you smile?
– Seeing a message from one of my closest friends or my niece Isabella’s excitement at life without the jadeness we gain with age.
When was the last time you listened to the sound of your own breathing?
– The other day when sat watching autumn leaves fall around me.
What has life taught you recently?
– Some people will always judge others by their standards or how they think life should be lived, best not give them your oxygen or time.
Can you describe your life in six words?
– A cryptic maze with false paths.
If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make mistakes?
– As in admitting we were wrong or caused an error leaves us feeling exposed and vulnerable, thus open to pain and hurt.
If life is short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t?
– We dwell too much on negativity and find positivity really hard, but should focus on we do have or are not would like or had.
Is it more important to love or to be loved?
– Both, as being loved shows us what love is and we should share that with those we feel are important in our lives (not just on anniversaries and special occasions).
What act of kindness were you were once shown that you will never forget?
– My closest friends by believing in me and encouraging me when I was not able to do so for myself.
What is your goal for the next six months?
– Find the middle of the maze.
If you could live one day of life over again, what day would you choose?
– Hard to single out one day as changing things would change who I am now but days filled with good memories I would like to keep being special for their uniqueness.
Take this box and fill it with all that hurts you, when you think it is full add some more. Then put it on a shelf to only be opened as little as possible. Now take this bottle, fill it with all that makes you happy, it will show you even on the hard days your glass is more than half full and the little things matter. Finally, take this glass. It is filled with hope, health, happiness, love and peace. Drink it so that 2015 brings all that and more to you.
I was given the following instructions by a friend: “Hold your hands out in front of you, palms down. Imagine that you have a total of six strings tied around your fingers. What objects are dangling from the strings?”
After much pondering, here is what are on my six strings:
A photograph of all those that are special in my life, which changes as it blows in the springtime breeze, whose touch is like the special touch they bring to my life with being in it, and have made a special place forever in both my heart and soul;
A pencil as a reminder for all that I have been fortunate to learn in life and all that I will learn throughout because it is not all about the formal study but what we learn from our experiences and being empathetic to others as understand their pain and joy;
A lemon which may sound odd but some may see lemons for their bitter taste but others may find the smell of one sweet; which is a reminder that even when there maybe something I dislike or disagree with, there is always more than one point of view in life;
A seed of the horse chestnut tree, a.k.a a “conker”, not only does it symbolise my love of nature but as a reminder of autumn (my favourite time of year), the changes that occur within and childhood innocence running among the freshly fallen leaves;
A tube of purple paint as not only does it symbolise my love and passion for creativity from art to music with the sounds and visuals both bring, it is the warmest yet also the most coolest of colours making it magical and mysterious at the same time;
A sunflower to remind me of dawn and that each day is a new opportunity to start again, put away what has upset me the day before and not dwell on it, as well as starting new tasks that may not be easy but will be ultimately worthwhile it in the end.